Tuesday, July 15, 2008

"Fear of Fun"

The below comes courtesy of Paul Krassner, and first appeared on The Huffington Post:

Fear of Fun
by Paul Krassner

Oh, no! That New Yorker cover is going to ruin everything for Obama. This is the tipping point. Now he’ll never get elected. I’m so disappointed. I had such great hopes. What can I do? Cancel my subscription to the First Amendment?

Fear. It’s all about fear. I’ve always been instilled with fear by TV commercials. From the woman who was afraid that her mother-in-law would disapprove of her because she couldn’t see the reflection of her face in a dish, to the man who’s afraid that he has restless penis syndrome.
And now I have such great fear of a dumbed down public. You know, those who still believe there was a connection between 9/11 and the invasion of Iraq. They’re going to believe that an editorial cartoon is an actual photo of Barack and Michelle.

What’s next? A cover showing Jesse Jackson cutting off Obama’s nuts? Maybe the New Yorker can redeem itself by publishing an image of John McCain singing “Bomb, bomb, bomb Iran.” Nah, that concept would be too far fetched. I’d have to cancel my subscription to real life.

If McCain wins the election because of this misunderstanding, I promise I’m going to move to Dubuque. Sorry, I don’t mean to whine. It’s just that I never ever thought that in my lifetime I would see a president of the United States who was half-white. And now the dream is over.

Dang!