Sunday, August 28, 2011

"Omelet" sells out


Thrilled to report that the staged reading of An Omelet for Vinnie, my play about the reunion of estranged father and son veterans at a halfway house in upper Manhattan, which was produced by the Malibu Stage Company Repertory Theatre, sold out last night!

Legendary actors Ed Asner and John Savage were joined by Malibu Stage Company actors Oscar Best and Sarah Phillips. Director Richard Johnson tells me the play was a huge hit.

Sometimes we get dealt a bad hand, which often happens in air travel these days, and I'm heartbroken to report that I wasn't able to attend the reading last night because the 1 p.m. flight I was scheduled to be on was delayed for close to five hours due to mechanical problems with the aircraft. And, as the customer service agent at the gate said, too, there was "no guarantee" that the plane would be airworthy in time to take off at 5:30 either; "if you guys wanna hang around to see if it takes off, that's okay," she said.

From late the night before, I had a strange sense of foreboding about the trip that I couldn't quite pinpoint. I'd never felt that way before a flight before, and I'm glad that the Delta pilot made the decision to put passenger safety first.

It's been a childhood dream to watch Ed Asner perform in one of my plays, and the reading Saturday night was a once in a lifetime event. Moreover, I'm a huge fan of John Savage.

I would have moved heaven and earth to be there, but it was just not possible, so I'd like to thank the cast, Richard Johnson, the artistic director, Geoffrey Ortiz, chairman of the Board of Directors of the Malibu Stage Company Repertory Theatre who produced the play, and everyone involved in making magic happen Saturday night for me, as well as all who were fortunate enough to have been there.