Monday, June 09, 2008

More from Aunt Sylvia...

Got another letter today from my father's only sister, Aunt Sylvia, who turns 94 in September, and whose remembrances of things past, the early days with her husband, Ellie, in the 1930's and 1940's, have appeared on this blog before. Sylvia writes:

"Just chased the 'Grim Reaper' from my house. He keeps knocking and I keep feeling him. How long I can hold out remains to be seen.

Last night, I thought of a very funny incident from my youth (so to speak). Ellie and I were just getting to know each other. I was 17. We had a group of couples that we went out with. Someone suggested the 'Burlesque' show. I was so naive I didn't know what to expect.

So, off we went to North Jersey, all the while Ellie telling me he enjoys the comedians and I would, too. Well, after the comedy show, out comes three beautiful girls. They had on gowns, and were great performers. Halfway through their act, they started taking off their clothes. I was in shock.

With the place packed to the gills, I got up and shouted 'Ellie, don't look!' Everybody laughed, and I was very embarrassed. Today, watching HBO, I think nothing of all the nude scenes. The 'good old days' were much better."

You can bet that Sylvia will keep the dogs, and the Grim Reaper, at bay as long as she can look forward to yet another episode of "Sex and the City!