Sunday, May 30, 2010

Elevator Dream

Last night, I had the strangest dream. I was in the apartment building where I live in a big city. It is laundry day, so I have a pile of clothes in a basket and am headed for the basement.

After putting the sheets, towels, etc. in the washing machine, I realize that I left the laundry detergent upstairs, so I leave the clothes in the machine, and race into an elevator. There are two sets of elevators, and I take the one on the left which is mainly used as a service elevator. The other elevator appears to be stuck.

I'm the only one in the elevator. I push the button for the third floor, top floor, where is where I want to get out. No sooner do I press 3, then the door closes hard behind me like a bank vault, and it's obvious that I'm not getting out of there any time soon.

The elevator takes off super fast like a rocket ship, and I can tell by its speed it's racing, and has a turbo engine. It rips through the ceiling, and the door opens a bit to reveal the clouds. I'm now high above the city. It was now clear that I was no longer in an elevator, but a space ship. Someone might even spot me from an office building below as an "unidentified flying object."

Oddly, the first thought that goes through my mind is how I left the laundry in the washer, and how I'd better get down to the laundry room before someone else takes it. I think, too, that I'd better get control of this thing, and bring it down to earth fast.

But, my better judgment tells me the last thing I need to worry about is stolen socks, and I manage to take control somehow, and bring the elevator back down to earth where it alights on a busy city street in a financial district. It's a one way street, and I quickly realize that I'm going in the wrong direction, so have to make a sharp right hand turn, which is not easy to do in an elevator, and I almost hit a pedestrian on the side of the road. She starts crying. What does she expect, I think? I'm driving an elevator. It's not like it has power steering.

Somehow, I end up on the right course, and find myself back in my apartment building where my dirty laundry still waits for me.