Saturday, December 10, 2011

"I'm from California..."

After going to a PEN event in Oakland this afternoon, I was crossing College Avenue when I saw a car at a distance driving so fast, it looked like the driver was going to try and beat the light.

The fact that the light was about to turn stark raving red didn't seem to compel the driver to reach for his brakes, so I stood in the street waiting for the car to come to a complete stop before crossing. Call me old fashioned, but I don't only look at signs that say "walk," or even red lights, I wait for the cars to stop.

Behind the wheel was a 20th something fellow with what appeared to be his girlfriend beside him. Seeing the light was red, yes, he did stop. By that time the "Do Not Walk" sign was flashing, so I hurried across College Avenue at which point I heard something from that driver the likes of which I've never heard from a driver before in my entire life. He rolled down the window of his car, and yelled, "I'm from California, I can suck my own dick."

As if for confirmation, I glanced quickly at the passenger in his car. She looked horrified.

All I could say was, "You took the words right out of my mouth, pal."