Tuesday, December 20, 2011


Did somebody say something about a recess?

A CNN post earlier today suggests that now that the House has made a decision on extending the payroll tax for another two months its members are preparing to go on holiday. http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/20/house-expected-to-recess-after-payroll-tax-vote/ Well, not so fast, fellas.

At a time when Congressional approval rates are circling single digits, it's nothing shy of audacious for any elected member of the House or the Senate to even wink at, let alone entertain, the prospect of decking the halls with bells of folly, or was that holly.

When a majority of Senate Republicans voted yea to extend the payroll tax cut, the bill met an untimely demise courtesy of those 140 odd rookie "tea party" Republicans who strong armed both Speaker Boehner, and House Leader Eric Canter.

Now, think about this: the House rejected a tax hike that amounts to less than 2%, and would impact a fewer than half a million millionaires, and instead voted to increase taxes on more than 150 million working and middle-class Americans, as well as cut unemployment extensions.

So, if you're looking for the grinch who stole Christmas, look no further than the House of Representatives which now represents 1% of the population, and not the remaining 99%.

Recess? Last time I looked 99% of us are paying their salaries. When was the last time your boss let you go on vacation, and leave him with a big mess?

Forget about Wall Street. Maybe it's time to Occupy Congress instead.