Sunday, October 19, 2008

Frankie and Sylvia

Another colorful story from my 92 year old Aunt Sylvia who, with her 96 year old husband, Ellie, lives in Port St. Lucie, Florida:

"I noticed you use Sinatra stamps. I have to tell you my memories of him.

When I was a teenager in high school, a group of us girls decided to go to see Frank perform in N.Y. The theater was packed with Beeny Bopers (teeny bopers) screaming.

I expected to hear the greatest. Out comes this ugly, skinny performer who looked like he needed a good meal.

He started to sing to the squealing audience. I thought he was awful. He was a skinny guy with a big hat, and a small voice. How could they compare him with Bing Crosby--Russ Columbo, etc.?

He has changed my mind over the years. I love his voice now."

What is it about legends that disappoint; maybe that they're so---well, legendary? Somehow, I think, should he hear Sylvia's story, Frank Sinatra would look up from his poker game, and give her a big smile.